Friday, April 16

Ansel Adams takes on Carlsbad Caverns

Rock formation with women, dark background, 'The Rock of Ages, Big Room,' Carlsbad Caverns National Park," New Mexico. (vertical orientation)

Series: Ansel Adams Photographs of National Parks and Monuments, compiled 1941 - 1942, documenting the period ca. 1933 – 1942

The Ansel Adams national parks series is probably my favorite work of his outside fo the extended work he did in Yosemite over the years. I especially love his Carlsbad Caverns series.

Adams is a big reason that I enjoy shooting black and white landscapes. I was really happy when I got to see the Adams exhibit recently here in Columbia. Seeing the prints brought his work even more to life than it was from the photos reproduced in books I had seen.

Next week you can visit Carlsbad Caverns or any other national park for free. http://bit.ly/NPSWEEK