Friday, March 4

Next Up: Video on the Canon 7d

It's going on 6 months since I upgraded to the Canon 7d and the one thing that I have not really tried is to use the video functions.

Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD (Body Only)

Of course, I've played around shooting a few clips, but they appeared "choppy" on the playback on the computer (of course, I'm realizing it might just of been my slow computer then) so I never did much with them.

I've been reading about the 7d's video capabilities on the Canon website and have decided that I'm going to give it a try to see what it can do over the next few weeks.

One drawback to the 7d vs. a traditional video camera is the standard microphone on the body. It is located on the front of the camera near the lens and doesn't seem to do that good of a job.

I'm thinking my best bet for train video work will be to get an external mic to hook through the shoe on top of the camera with a "shotgun" setting. Trains tend to be away from the camera and usually I don't want the sound from around me anyways. I'm checking out a few options on line and will let you know what I decide.

As I get some "test footage" over the next few weeks I'll be posting it on YouTube or Facebook for your critique.

Have a great weekend!

Zenfolio - elegant photo hosting